Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's Simply Simple

CAISAM YVEZ NOPUETO
The Isotopes
Feature Writing
September 22, 2008



It's Simply Simple

The truth is, I don't know what to write. I've tried to use staccato, and to clip some quotes. But I've failed. They just won't fit.

For the past 30 minutes, mu draft is full of non-sense doodles, erasures, scribbles and sketches. I don't know why. I want to express my feelings with figurative speech, but nothing makes sense.

One thing is for sure. Where I am right now. The wind that touches my face. The ambience I can feel. The sounds that I'm hearing. All of them welcomes me home.

I can't brag about modernization. I can't brag about towering skyscrapers. I can't even brag about social developments and urbanization. All i can be proud of is simplicity. Humility.

My home is not a mansion. It's cozy yet massive. It's big enough to shelter my family. Our backyard is full of crops and trees. and even ornaments. We don't need air conditioners, for the wind is cool enough, boosted by the leaves of our plants. We have fish ponds, housing sea creatures of different kinds, enough to help us to gain profit.

Parts of our lot area is leveled higher than others, as if they were mountains. Mountains with peaceful forests, and with terrestrial animals living harmoniously. The symphony of birds' chirping seems to lay me down to rest, after a hard days' work. 

It's indeed a relief when i go home. My family greets me with radiant smiles, leaving my body free of stress. Yet  behind those innocent smiles rests a competitive soul, that excels in various fields. Behind that smile is a writer, an artist, a dancer or even a musician. Talented, but really innocent.

Humble. Simple. That's what we can brag. That's what we can be proud of. You see, highfaluting adjectives are too much.

Not rich. Ain't high-tech. Not even a celebrity. Just Binangonan. Simplicity at its best.



This is my feature entry for our cliniquing session last Sept 22. Ma'am Virna, our Campus Paper Adviser trained us for the upcoming DSSPC, and she told me to write something about my home town, Binangonan.
What's written is true. Especially the first two paragraphs. Seriously, I've consumed 30 minutes thinking over some figurative speech, quotes, Bible verses while scribbling and sketching. My draft was full of erasures, but I can't really come up with a good article. So because i felt like writing what is really happening, I've written in my introduction that seriously, I didn't know what to write.

No comments: